I have been deeply alarmed by the images I have seen of people who appear to be physically shrinking away before our eyes. It is heartbreaking to witness people suffering silently, especially when you know that behind every image is a human being with a story, a family, a life, and people who love them.
Today, I want to take a moment to pray for those who are living with HIV/AIDS and for those who may be suffering quietly, without the support, medical care, compassion, or understanding they deserve.
I will not name names. I will not speculate about who may be affected. I will not expose anyone's private medical circumstances. There are too many people facing serious illness for us to turn someone's suffering into gossip or public speculation.
What I will do is pray.
From people in the highest offices and positions of influence to people living on the streets, illness does not discriminate. Behind the positions, titles, money, and appearances are human beings who can become sick, frightened, isolated, and vulnerable.
The images of people wasting away are difficult to watch. But I also want to be careful about the language we use. People living with HIV/AIDS are not zombies, and their illness does not diminish their humanity. They are people deserving of dignity, treatment, compassion, and love.
So today, my prayer is for those who are silently fighting.
Father God,
Please strengthen those whose bodies are tired and whose spirits are weary. Bring comfort to those who are afraid. Surround those who feel alone with people who will love them without judgment.
Give them access to medical care, medication, nourishment, shelter, and the resources they need. Give doctors, nurses, caregivers, families, and advocates wisdom and compassion.
For those who are suffering in silence, remind them that their lives still have value.
For those who have been rejected because of their diagnosis, replace shame with dignity.
For those who are grieving, give them peace.
For those who are fighting to live, give them strength.
And for those whose bodies are failing, surround them with love, comfort, and mercy.
I refuse to point fingers. I refuse to name names. I refuse to participate in speculation about another person's health.
I simply want to acknowledge what I see: people are hurting, and people need prayer, compassion, and help.
May we stop looking at suffering as something to gossip about and start looking at it as an opportunity to show humanity.
To everyone silently fighting HIV/AIDS: you are not invisible. You are not forgotten. You are not your diagnosis.
I am praying for you.
🙏🏽❤️