Shopping for a Portable Generator: Preparing for the Next Blackout
I can't tell you how many blackouts I've lived through. At this point, a power outage isn't just an inconvenience it is a reminder that being prepared matters.
Back in 2017, when I lived off Jones and Tropicana, I experienced this same kind of situation. Yesterday brought back those memories.
Thankfully, I live in a community where people stand together and look out for one another. That kind of community support makes a difficult situation a little easier. But yesterday also made me realize that I need to take another step toward being prepared: I need a portable generator.
Why a Generator Is Now a Necessity
My mobile notary business requires me to work remotely and on location. I have printers, computers, phones, and other equipment that require electricity.
If I'm meeting a client somewhere and the power isn't available, I still need to be able to conduct business professionally.
A generator would give me the flexibility to keep working when traditional power isn't available.
And it's not just my mobile notary business.
When I attend pop-up events, I may need electricity for equipment, lighting, electronics, and other business needs. Having my own reliable power source would make setting up at events much easier.
Yesterday Was a Wake-Up Call
Yesterday was one of those days when I kept thinking:
"I really need a generator."
My biggest concern wasn't even my electronics.
It was my food.
I have spent four months stocking my freezer, and the thought of losing all of that food because of an extended power outage was stressful.
Food isn't cheap. Replacing an entire freezer full of groceries could be a significant financial loss.
That's when preparedness stops being a luxury and becomes an investment.
What I'm Looking For
Today, one of the top items on my agenda is researching a portable generator rated at 2,000 watts or better.
But I'm not just looking for the biggest generator I can find.
I want something that makes sense for my actual needs.
Some of the things I'm considering include:
- At least 2,000 watts of power
- Reliable operation
- Portable enough to transport
- Suitable for business equipment
- Enough capacity for essential household needs
- Multiple outlets
- USB charging capability
- Good fuel efficiency or battery runtime
- Reasonable noise level
- Easy startup and operation
- Dependable enough for emergencies
- Practical for taking to pop-up events
- Good value for the money
I'm also going to pay close attention to the difference between starting watts and running watts. Some equipment requires additional power when it initially starts, so simply looking at the advertised wattage isn't enough.
Business + Emergency Preparedness
For me, purchasing a generator isn't just about surviving the next blackout.
It's also about protecting my businesses.
My mobile notary operation requires technology. My pop-up businesses require equipment. My work depends on being able to operate in different locations.
A portable generator could essentially become another piece of my business equipment.
Power outage? I'm prepared.
Outdoor event? I'm prepared.
Remote work location? I'm prepared.
That's the goal.
The Bigger Lesson
Yesterday reminded me that emergencies don't always give us advance notice.
You can prepare for a storm, a blackout, an unexpected emergency, or a situation that lasts longer than anticipated but preparation has to happen before the emergency.
I've already learned that lesson with food.
Now it's time to apply it to electricity.
Today's Agenda
Find the right portable generator.
Not necessarily the most expensive.
Not necessarily the biggest.
But one that provides enough power for my essential household needs, protects my food investment, and allows me to continue operating my businesses when the lights go out.
Because after living through enough blackouts, I've learned one thing:
I'd rather have the generator sitting in my home and never need it than desperately need one and not have it.
The next blackout won't catch me completely unprepared.
Preparation isn't paranoia. It's peace of mind.