Time to Go to Work: Building My Notary Business
I have compiled a list of 100 businesses that can immediately benefit from my services, and I am excited about what comes next.
Bless GOD! A new line of credit has processed, which gives me the ability to take care of my remaining notary registration fees, purchase my stamp and seal, invest in a generator, and start working toward purchasing a vehicle.
It's time to go to work!
I laugh when people forget that I formerly managed various telemarketing teams.
Lead Generation Is My Specialty
I know how to find customers.
I know how to build call lists.
I know how to make the pitch.
I know how to follow up.
And most importantly, I know how to turn leads into opportunities.
While business formation is one of the services I offer, it isn't where I plan to put most of my promotional energy.
My primary focus is Online and Mobile Notary Services, Loan Signing Services, and document processing.
That's where I see an immediate opportunity to build relationships with businesses, professionals, organizations, and individuals who regularly need documents handled correctly and efficiently.
Setting Personal Goals
I'm setting some very specific personal and business goals.
One of those goals is getting my business fully operational and online before the end of August.
I'm taking it one step at a time.
There are registrations and compliance requirements to complete. There is equipment to purchase. There is marketing material to create. There are potential clients to identify. And, of course, there is training.
I'm not rushing the process.
I'm building it properly.
Business Formation Is More Than Filing Paperwork
One thing I want people to understand is that starting a business is more than filing paperwork with your state and immediately going to work.
The exact requirements vary by state, business structure, location, and industry, but there are several foundational items entrepreneurs commonly encounter.
1. Articles of Organization
For an LLC, the Articles of Organization are filed with the state.
I like to describe this as the business's "birth certificate." It establishes the LLC as a legal entity under state law.
However, formation is only the beginning.
2. Employer Identification Number
An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is issued by the IRS.
Once you establish your business, you should take the separation between your business finances and personal finances seriously.
Business income and expenses should be properly documented, and business funds should not simply become an extension of your personal spending.
Maintaining separate financial accounts and accurate records can help preserve clean business records and make tax reporting much easier.
3. Registered Agent
A Registered Agent is designated to receive certain legal and official documents on behalf of the business.
Registered-agent requirements vary by state, and there are specific rules regarding who can serve in that role.
We can discuss the details during a consultation.
4. Operating Agreement
For an LLC, an Operating Agreement establishes important rules for how the company will be managed.
It can address ownership, management responsibilities, distributions, voting, decision-making, and other internal business matters.
An Operating Agreement is particularly important because it helps define how the business operates beyond the initial state filing.
Again, requirements and best practices vary depending on the state and business structure.
Don't Forget Local Requirements
This is where many new business owners get into trouble.
You can't simply file your business with the state and assume you're finished.
Depending on your location and industry, you may have additional city, county, state, licensing, permitting, tax, zoning, or regulatory requirements.
Failure to follow applicable requirements can result in fines, penalties, additional fees, or delays.
That's why I encourage new entrepreneurs to understand their compliance responsibilities before opening their doors.
And Yes... I'm Still Working Through the Blackout
After yesterday's power outage, I could have easily thrown my hands up.
But I'm not angry.
I found ways to work in the dark.
That's entrepreneurship.
Sometimes the circumstances aren't perfect. Sometimes the power goes out. Sometimes the equipment isn't all there yet. Sometimes you have to work with what you have while building toward what you need.
And that's exactly what I'm doing.
What's On My Desk Today?
I have a busy day ahead of me.
I'll be:
- Editing my business website and pages
- Shopping for my vendor tent
- Shopping for signage
- Loading my affiliate accounts
- Building my list of potential business clients
- Preparing promotional offers
- Studying for my Loan Signing training
- Completing remaining notary requirements
- Researching equipment
- Planning my mobile operation
And I'm also reviewing my services carefully so that my advertising accurately reflects what I can legally provide in Nevada.
For example, apostille services require special attention to Nevada's process and the role of the Nevada Secretary of State. I am reviewing my promotional materials so I don't advertise a service in a way that implies I personally issue apostilles when the issuing authority is the appropriate government office.
That means some of my promotional offers need to change.
That's okay.
I'd rather advertise correctly than advertise quickly.
The Countdown Begins
I'm working toward being fully online before the end of August.
Fingers crossed!
The next chapter is about execution.
The registration fees are getting handled.
The stamp and seal are on the list.
The generator is on the list.
The vehicle is on the list.
The equipment is on the list.
The client list is growing.
The training is underway.
And the marketing is being built.
I've spent years learning how to communicate, sell, manage teams, generate leads, handle customers, and solve problems.
Now I'm putting those skills to work for my own business.
It's time to stop talking about it and go to work.
100 potential businesses.
New equipment.
New opportunities.
New goals.
Same work ethic.
Bless GOD... I'm building this one step at a time.