Now, before anyone gets excited, I want to explain why this moment is meaningful to me. My understanding of my family history came much later in life. I did not learn what I believe about my connection to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. until Jesse Sr. explained it to me long after I had left New Birth Missionary Baptist Church.
Long before I came to that understanding, I had already crossed paths with Bernice. While serving in one of the many ministries at New Birth specifically as the driver for the college step team we were scheduled for an event, and she surprised me with a visit.
During my years at New Birth, I was also in charge of the kitchen. Whenever Mrs. Coretta Scott King visited the church, I made it a point to personally serve her. At the time, those moments were simply acts of respect and service. Looking back, they carry a different meaning for me.
I would often see Bernice, not realizing that, from my perspective, she knew who I was long before I understood who she was to me. Life has a way of revealing things in its own time.
Today, I believe we are each walking our own journey. She has her mission, and I have mine. I respect the path she has chosen, just as I remain committed to pursuing the purpose I believe has been placed before me.
Whether our roads run parallel or eventually cross again, I am grateful for every opportunity we have to share time together. Some connections are measured not by how often you see each other, but by the meaning they carry.
I wish her continued peace, strength, and success as she continues her work, while I continue building my own legacy—one day, one step, and one purpose at a time.
